Saturday, December 28, 2013

REVIEW: The Dangers Of Mistletoe by Theresa Alan

Title: The Dangers Of Mistletoe
Author: Theresa Alan
Publisher: Kensington
Publication Date: October, 2007
Genre: Chick-Lit

Description: A Christmas kiss can lead to so much more...

Happy Holidays? Are you kidding? For two sisters mired in part-time jobs from hell, resentful stepkids, needling parents, and disastrous home improvement projects, the Christmas season promises to be anything but merry...until they discover what a little holiday magic can bring...

Amber Taylor has no time for love this year. She's gone from corporate maven to under-paid massage therapist in record time, and right now there's nothing going on but the rent. Seems the only way she can earn a living is by handing out cheese samples at the local Cheese Haus. Pretty pathetic, huh? 'Tis the season...for cheese? Pass the eggnog...

Amber's sister Emily is the golden child. She's always seemed to have it all --- a husband, kids, and house --- everything Amber doesn't. But this Christmas she's got nothing but problems, like two bratty stepkids who can't stand her, and a mother-in-law who likes her even less. Things are looking decidedly Grinchy this holiday season...

Bah humbug! A sprinkling of Christmas magic and a whole lot of QT with that special someone under the mistletoe can still ring in a happy new year for Amber and Emily...though mistletoe can be unpredictable --- and the results may vary…

My Thoughts: Cute Christmas themed story with alternating points of view between two sisters and their struggles during the Christmas season to find perfection.

I enjoyed each perspective that really focuses overall on the message about appreciating what you have in life and it's up to all of us to find happiness because perfection is just an illusion.

Though Amber and Emily are sisters, they couldn't be more different than night day. Amber is struggling in New York City to make her massage therapy business successful while worrying how she is going to make her rent payment. Coming up with money to go back home for Christmas just adds to her financial stress.

Emily is a new bride and step-mother to two young children. In a rash decision, Emily volunteers to host Christmas in her new home, never realizing how much work the house needs to make it holiday and company ready. On top of that, she's still trying to adjust to the addition of three new people full-time in her life and her step-daughter isn't making any of the transition easy for anyone.

Each chapter alternates with a different perception so I really enjoyed seeing first hand how each sister deals with their stress and frustrations. The author does a very good job of illustrating it so well, I felt like I was there with them.

My Final Verdict: Overall, this book was very enjoyable and hits the mark on holiday spirit.


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)