Saturday, December 14, 2013

REVIEW: The Racketeer by John Grisham

Title: The Racketeer
Author: John Grisham
Publisher: Doubleday
Publication Date: October, 2012
Genre: Mystery / Thriller

Description: Given the importance of what they do, and the controversies that often surround them, and the violent people they sometimes confront, it is remarkable that in the history of this country only four active federal judges have been murdered.

Judge Raymond Fawcett has just become number five.


Who is the Racketeer? And what does he have to do with the judge’s untimely demise? His name, for the moment, is Malcolm Bannister. Job status? Former attorney. Current residence? The Federal Prison Camp near Frostburg, Maryland.

On paper, Malcolm’s situation isn’t looking too good these days, but he’s got an ace up his sleeve. He knows who killed Judge Fawcett, and he knows why. The judge’s body was found in his remote lakeside cabin. There was no forced entry, no struggle, just two dead bodies: Judge Fawcett and his young secretary. And one large, state-of-the-art, extremely secure safe, opened and emptied.

What was in the safe? The FBI would love to know. And Malcolm Bannister would love to tell them. But everything has a price—especially information as explosive as the sequence of events that led to Judge Fawcett’s death. And the Racketeer wasn’t born yesterday . . .

Nothing is as it seems and everything’s fair game in this wickedly clever new novel from John Grisham, the undisputed master of the legal thriller

My Thoughts: When I want a story that keeps me on the edge of my seat guessing what is coming next before having the rug ripped out from under me, I know choosing a John Grisham novel will fit the bill.

What begins as a story about a man who has spent the last several years in prison turns into a novel of intrigue and suspense as the main character, Malcolm Bannister, finds himself in the center of a high profile case involving the murder of a federal judge. In exchange for his freedom and federal protection, Malcolm agrees to provide the identity of the murderer in addition to why the judge was killed.

The most interesting thing about this story for me is how the story takes on a life of its own with the numerous plot twists and turns. As each layer of this intricate and complicated plot is peeled back, I found myself more and more surprised.

My Final Verdict: I highly recommend this story if you are a fan of mysteries or thrillers that surprise you throughout the story.


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)