Tuesday, November 13, 2018

REVIEW: A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron

Title: A Dog’s Purpose (A Dog’s Purpose #1)
Author: W. Bruce Cameron
Publisher: Forge Books
Publication Date: July, 2010
Genre: General Fiction
Buy The Book: Amazon | BN | Audible

Description: This is the remarkable story of one endearing dog's search for his purpose over the course of several lives. More than just another charming dog story, this touches on the universal quest for an answer to life's most basic question: Why are we here?

Surprised to find himself reborn as a rambunctious golden haired puppy after a tragically short life as a stray mutt, Bailey's search for his new life's meaning leads him into the loving arms of 8 year old Ethan. During their countless adventures Bailey joyously discovers how to be a good dog. But this life as a beloved family pet is not the end of Bailey's journey. Reborn as a puppy yet again, Bailey wonders, will he ever find his purpose?

Heartwarming, insightful, and often laugh out loud funny, this book is not only the emotional and hilarious story of a dog's many lives, but also a dog's eye commentary on human relationships and the unbreakable bonds between man and man's best friend. This story teaches us that love never dies, that our true friends are always with us, and that every creature on earth is born with a purpose.

My Thoughts: All Bailey wants is to be a good dog. He knows his purpose is to take care of the people in his pack and be a good dog. I absolutely loved this story of Bailey and all of his numerous lives that bring him full circle back to the life he loved the most. Bailey offers the most meaningful insight to his surroundings and I loved how quickly he adapts each time he is reborn as a puppy, knowing he has a purpose and his determination to discover it. Though Bailey has many names in this story, I will refer to him as Bailey as the heart of the story for me is when he is with Ethan as Bailey.

The characters were well written and I loved the way the story flowed. I could easily relate to the characters and felt a lot of empathy for them. This story is told in the first-dog perspective and hearing Bailey’s opinions and thoughts and reactions to the world around him was thoroughly enjoyable.

My Final Verdict: This was my first time reading this author’s work and this book was a keeper-shelf book for me. I laughed and cried through the story and fell in love with this wonderful dog whose only purpose is to bring joy to those around him. I think he aced it.


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)