Saturday, January 20, 2024

REVIEW: A Litter of Bones by J.D. Kirk

Title: A Litter of Bones (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers #1)
Author: J.D. Kirk
Narrator: Angus King
Publisher: Zertex Media Ltd.
Publication Date: July 2019
Genre: Mystery / Thriller
Buy The Book: Amazon | BN | Audible

Description: Was the biggest case of his career the worst mistake he ever made?

Ten years ago, DCI Jack Logan stopped the serial child-killer dubbed 'Mister Whisper,' earning himself a commendation, a drinking problem, and a broken marriage in the process.

Now, he spends his days working in Glasgow's Major Incident Team, and his nights reliving the horrors of what he saw.

And what he did.

When another child disappears a hundred miles north in the Highlands, Jack is sent to lead the investigation and bring the boy home.

But as similarities between the two cases grow, could it be that Jack caught the wrong man all those years ago?

And, if so, is the real Mister Whisper about to claim his fourth victim?

A Litter of Bones is the explosive debut crime thriller novel from JD Kirk, an exciting new voice in Scottish crime fiction.

My Thoughts: In A Litter of Bones by new to me author J.D. Kirk, the reader is introduced to Detective Chief Inspector Jack Logan, a Scottish police investigator and, along with Jack, is drop-kicked into the Highlands to investigate a missing child case that bears a striking similarity to the case of the Mister Whisper case a decade ago. Jack knows this case all too well as he was the one who captured this despicable and vile man. Unfortunately for Jack, the whereabouts of Mister Whisper’s last victim, Dylan, were never resolved and it has haunted Jack all these years.

In addition to racing the clock to locate the newest missing child, Connor, Jack has to acquaint himself with a new team of investigators. I really liked Jack and though he carries a lot of turmoil and pain in his soul (who wouldn’t?), there were many moments the reader is given a glimpse of the humor, wit and charm lying below the surface. I look forward to getting to know Jack and this team of investigators better as I get further into the series.

J.D. Kirk’s writing is tightly woven and keeps the reader on the edge of their seat. This story has numerous graphic descriptions of the horror the villain inflicts, but it is appropriate subject matter for this story. As horrifying as it was to listen to, it pulled me further into the story. The identity of the killer and the surrounding reasons completely knocked me off my feet in shock and surprise.

The narration was expertly performed by the very talented Angus King, complete with a beautiful Scottish accent. Readers who aren’t familiar with some of the terminology or have never experienced Scotland may find it easier to read the text. For me, the audiobook was amazing. The emotions are felt keenly and are appropriate for the characters in that moment. Additionally, I appreciated the humor and wit displayed by the characters more than I would if I had read a text copy.

My Final Verdict: There are currently nineteen books in this series so I highly recommend starting at the beginning and reading this series in order as I suspect character growth and development will evolve throughout the series. I am looking forward to more from this very talented author and will stick with the audiobook format.


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)