Saturday, January 06, 2024

REVIEW: The Night Stalker by Robert Bryndza

Title: The Night Stalker (Detective Erika Foster #2)
Author: Robert Bryndza
Narrator: Jan Cramer
Publisher: Bookouture
Publication Date: June 2016
Genre: Mystery / Thriller
Buy The Book: Amazon | BN | Audible

Description: If the Night Stalker is watching, you’re already dead…

In the dead of a swelteringly hot summer’s night, Detective Erika Foster is called to a murder scene. The victim, a doctor, is found suffocated in bed. His wrists are bound and his eyes bulging through a clear plastic bag tied tight over his head.

A few days later, another victim is found dead, in exactly the same circumstances. As Erika and her team start digging deeper, they discover a calculated serial killer – stalking their victims before choosing the right moment to strike.

The victims are all single men, with very private lives. Why are their pasts shrouded in secrecy? And what links them to the killer?

As a heat wave descends upon London, Erika will do everything to stop the Night Stalker before the body count rises, even if it means risking her job. But the victims might not be the only ones being watched… Erika’s own life could be on the line.

My Thoughts: As the New Year kicks off with this most excellent book, I can only hope the rest of my reading year will meet this same standard. Book #2 in the Erika Foster series brings the reader back into Erika’s orbit as she is investigating the murders of vastly different men…all single, all successful and trying to piece together how they are all connected to the mysterious night stalker is a puzzle Erika and her team are scrambling to figure out.

As with the first book, Erika continues to be a diligent investigator who is willing to go outside protocol and defy orders from her chain of command to solve these homicides. She is still keeping people at arm’s length, not allowing anyone to get too close, but there is a glimmer that she is open to friendships so I’m hoping this is explored more in the next book.

Robert Bryndza writes a tense story that keeps the reader in high anticipation. The identity of the killer is revealed fairly early, which I actually enjoyed, so the intense anticipation I was experiencing was from how the killer would be caught and what the body count would climb to. Mr. Bryndza’s research is so well executed, one can’t help but wonder if he has a background in law enforcement. The story flows very smoothly in spite of the subject matter. Be warned, readers, as the homicides are described in specific detail and are a bit disturbing.

The audio narration, performed by Jan Cramer, was also excellent. Her performance moves the story forward with the right amount of emotions to make the actions of the characters logical and believable.

My Final Verdict: If you have yet to read this series, I must encourage you to not waste any further time. I highly recommend this story to fans of mysteries, thrillers and police procedurals. Though the topic is quite graphic, fans of this genre will appreciate the attention to detail and the well-researched subject matter.


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)