Monday, February 09, 2009

The Quickie by James Patterson

The Quickie by James Patterson

My Rating: 8*'s

Description: A STOLEN KISS

When she sees her husband with another woman, Lauren Stillwell's heart nearly stops beating. Her marriage was perfect, she has a great job, she loves her life. But his betrayal turns her into someone she never imagined she could be–a woman lusting for revenge.

IS HER FIRST CRIME

Determined to even the score, Lauren seeks to have her own affair. It was supposed to be a quickie, but Lauren's night of passion takes a shocking turn when she witnesses an unexpected, unbelievable, and deadly crime. Now her horrifying secret threatens to tear her life apart, pitting her need to uncover the truth against her fear that the truth may be too horrible to bear. And whichever choice she makes may cost her dearly—her job, her marriage…or even her life.

IT WON'T BE HER LAST

My Thoughts: I can always, ALWAYS count on James Patterson to rip the rug out from under my feet when I read one of his books. Even the ones I didn't really care for. With The Quickie, Patterson weaves a tale of betrayal and murder so tightly knit and intricate, the reader is left shocked and flabbergasted at the end. This book is definitely one of those that delivers an ending you never saw coming. Lauren Stillwell is a character any woman who has had an affair or a spouse suspected of having an affair can relate to. On the outside, she is a tough, hard as nails, take no prisoners, NYPD homicide detective. On the inside, she is a woman grieving over her inability to conceive and struggling with coming to terms with what her husband, Paul, is up to when she witnesses him entering a hotel with another woman. Unfortunately, she doesn't make wise choices and in a moment of poor judgment decides to have an affair out of revenge. Her spontaneous choice leads to disaster for Lauren at home and at work. I enjoyed how the story unfolds layer upon layer of bad luck with every decision or action Lauren makes. Just when you think you have figured it out, off comes another layer and once again you are blindsided by the result.

I enjoyed the complexity of the characters. Throughout the story, I found it difficult to decide whose side to be on as the lines delineating the heroes from the villains was not clear. This story may not be for everyone as Lauren does hold the blame for the mess she finds herself in, but many readers should enjoy the creative and interesting way she resolves it.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)