Saturday, August 08, 2009

Survivor In Death by J.D. Robb

Survivor In Death by J.D. Robb

My Rating: 10 *'s

Description: No affairs. No criminal connections. No DNA. No clues. Eve Dallas may be the best cop in the city --- not to mention having the lavish resources of her husband, Roarke, at her disposal --- but the Swisher case has her baffled. The family members were murdered in their beds with brutal, military precision. The state of the art security was breached, and the killers used night vision equipment to find their way through the upper middle class house. Clearly, Dallas is dealing with pros. The only mistake they made was to overlook the nine year old girl cowering in the dark kitchen.

Now Nixie Swisher is an orphan --- and the sole eyewitness to a seemingly inexplicable crime. Kids are not Dallas's strong suit. But Nixie needs a safe place to stay, and Dallas needs to solve this case. Not only because of the promise she made to Nixie. Not only for the cause of justice. But also to put to rest some of her own darkest memories --- and deepest fears. With her partner, Peabody, on the job, and watching her back --- and with Roarke providing the kind of help that only he can give --- Lieutenant Eve Dallas is running after shadows, and dead set on finding out who's behind them.

My Thoughts: This installment really tugs at the reader's heartstrings to see how Eve tries to balance doing her job to bring justice to a little girl and not getting personally attached. I found myself wondering throughout the book if Eve and Roark would go ahead and become Nixie's legal guardians, though having a child in Eve's care full time would change the concept of this series. Couldn't help but admire Nixie's spirit while trying to cope with the loss of her family and best friend. The stages of trauma displayed by Nixie were realistic and well-written.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)