Saturday, February 20, 2010

Murder Between The Covers by Elaine Viets

Murder Between The Covers by Elaine Viets

My Rating: 7 *'s

Description: Once on the fast track to success, Helen Hawthorne is going nowhere faster. Forced to trade in her chic life for a shabby one, she's now on the run, jumping from city to city and dead-end job to dead-end job, trying to stay one step ahead of her past....

Helen has a new job "off the books" at Page Turners bookstore in Fort Lauderdale. It's run by Page Turner III, who happens to be neither well-read nor well-liked. When his money troubles surface, it seems the store's long life may be over --- but it's Page's life that's cut short instead. He had plenty of enemies, including an unhappy wife and unfortunate employees. But it is his unforgiving lover --- Helen's wacky neighbor --- police are ready to throw the book at. To save her friend, Helen will have to read between the lines ... and uncover the truth about a clever killer.

My Thoughts: One of the things I am enjoying about this series is seeing what dead end job Helen finds herself working with each book. In this one, I was pleased to see she is working at a bookstore, though I wouldn't consider that in and of itself a dead end job, but for Helen, it is when her boss, the owner of the store, is murdered and her friend becomes the prime suspect.

The story isn't heavy on the mystery and it doesn't take long for the reader to figure out who the culprit could be. The journey getting to that final destination is quite entertaining as the various neurotic and bizarre characters come out of the woodwork.

As long as the reader goes in expecting the predictable, this will be an interesting and entertaining read.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)