Monday, August 02, 2010

Confessions Of Super Mom by Melanie Lynne Hauser

Confessions Of Super Mom by Melanie Lynne Hauser

My Rating: 8 *'s

Description: “Every superhero has an Origin. To tell the truth, it’s a little embarrassing. I wasn’t put into a rocket and sent to Earth by my parents just as my home planet exploded. I wasn’t given a special ring by visiting aliens. I wasn’t bitten by a radioactive spider. No, it wasn’t anything nearly so glamorous; my beginnings are quite humble. I was merely the innocent victim of a Horrible Swiffer Accident.”

Meet Birdie Lee, clerk at Marvel Fine Food and Beverages and an average, middle-aged single mother of two teenagers. Until one ordinary morning when, on the floor of her bathroom, Birdie discovers a Stain of Unknown Origin—a stain so intense that nothing can remove it. When all her attempts fail, Birdie does the unthinkable: She loads her Swiffer with every cleanser she owns, aims, and shoots. Suddenly, Birdie becomes endowed with extraordinary powers. Now Birdie must somehow balance it all—her smug ex and his overachieving new wife; two teenagers and a string of PTA meetings; her own budding romance; and her beloved town of Astro Park, whose very existence is threatened by a mysterious force sneaking its way into every household. A delightful, well-earned escape, Confessions of Super Mom is an amusing vindication of the overlooked everyday heroism that is a woman’s life.

My Thoughts: I've never read anything by this author before and was very pleasantly surprised at how quickly I was drawn into the story and the character's personalities and lives. I thought the arrival of a membership packet from the Justice League of America was entertaining and I'll be curious if Wonder Woman makes her presence known as Super Mom's assigned mentor / trainer in the next book. For some reason, I had a hard time picturing Birdie in my mind's eye as I read the book. She is described as being in her early 40's with two teenagers but I kept envisioning a grandmother. I think her name conjures up that image.

A quick and enjoyable read for anyone, Super Mom, or mortal.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)