Sunday, August 15, 2010

REVIEW: Salvation In Death by J.D. Robb

Title: Salvation In Death (In Death, #27)
Author: J.D. Robb
Publisher: Putnam
Publication Date: January, 2008
Hardcover: 353 pages
Genre: Romantic Suspense
Rating: 10/10

Description: In the year 2060, cutting-edge investigative tools can help catch a killer. But there are some questions even the most advanced technologies cannot answer ...

At the most solemn moment of a Catholic funeral Mass, the priest brings the chalice to his lips. Seconds later, he is dead on the altar. For the mourners packed into the pews, Father Miguel Flores's sudden demise is an unimaginable shock. When Detective Lieutenant Eve Dallas confirms that the consecrated wine contained enough potassium cyanide to kill a rhino, she's prepared to plunge in and find out why, despite her discomfort with her surroundings. It's not the bodegas and pawnshops of East Harlem that bother her, though the neighborhood is a long way from the stone mansion she shares with her billionaire husband, Roarke. It's all that holiness flying around at St. Cristobal's that makes her uneasy.

A search of the victim's simple, sparsely furnished room reveals few personal touches, except for a carefully hidden religious medal with a mysterious inscription, and a couple of underlined Bible passages. The autopsy reveals much more: faint scars of knife wounds, a removed tattoo - and evidence of plastic surgery suggesting "Father Flores" may not have been the man his parishioners thought. Now, as Eve pieces together clues that suggest identity theft, gang connections, and a deeply personal act of revenge, she hopes to track down whoever committed this unholy act. Until a second murder - in front of an even larger crowd of worshippers - knocks the whole investigation sideways.

The way Eve sees it, vengeance may be the Lord's business, but if there's going to be any earthly justice in this case, it's up to her.

My Thoughts: This installment moved a lot slower for me than other Eve Dallas books, but the story was still very intense and thought provoking.

What starts out as a routine investigation into the murder of a neighborhood priest during a funeral mass turns into a case of identity theft, greed and retribution and linking to multiple unsolved murders seventeen years prior. Eve tackles this case with the same tenacity and determination she gives to every case. As more layers are revealed, the more complex this case becomes.

When a televangelist is murdered the same way during a sermon, I immediately thought Eve would be tracking a serial killer targeting religious leaders. When the second murder is solved fairly quickly, I realized that the murders are not connected, other than cause of death.

Not a lot of sparring with Somerset in this story, unfortunately. I am looking forward to Eve losing her mind over hosting Louise's bridal shower. She would much rather get into fights with criminals than come within a hundred miles of giggling women. I can't wait to see how it plays out.

After 27 installments of this series, I feel like I'm putting on a comfortable sweater when I'm reading an Eve Dallas book. The characters are so well written that the reader feels a deep rapport with them. Luckily for the readers, this series does not appear to be running out of steam.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)