Wednesday, March 30, 2011

REVIEW: The Good Ghoul's Guide To Getting Even by Julie Kenner

Title: The Good Ghoul’s Guide To Getting Even (Beth Frasier #1)
Author: Julie Kenner
Publisher: Berkley
Publication Date: April, 2007
Paperback: 256 pages
Genre: Young Adult - Paranormal Romance
Rating: 6/10

Description: Elizabeth Frasier's ticked off. Her junior year of high school was going just fine. But thanks to a bunch of jerkwad vampire jocks, she ended up undead, and with a thirst that a thousand Diet Cokes couldn't quench. Now she's out for blood-and revenge. And she knows exactly what to do...Elizabeth's read Salem's Lot. Separate the good vamps from the bad and wipe out the crowd that did her in. On top of that, she's got to figure out how to be mortal again-unless universities start accepting dead girls.

My Thoughts: This was a very fast read told from Beth’s point of view. The ending left me hanging which didn’t come as a surprise as I knew there is a second book. Unfortunately, I can’t help but think that this story could have been done in one entire book instead of being separated. At any rate, as I said before, this was a very fast read and entertaining for the most part. Beth doesn’t waste a lot of time in “setting the scene” of what happens to her. My first impression of Beth is that she is your typical overachiever teenager (do they even exist?) who is pretty obsessed about what college she wants to attend and has made up her mind that staying in Austin, Texas is not an option. One of the things I found strange for me was she didn’t seem to mourn the fact that being undead meant her life had ended. She needs blood to survive and there are vampire hunters out there with only one agenda, which is killing her. She didn’t seem to be affected by what her parents would say or do. Nope. She probably isn’t going to tell them. No, instead, she seems more put out and pissed off that her plans for college seem to have been derailed. Even, as a vampire, she remains more concerned about remaining Valedictorian. That having been said, it didn’t put me off of the story. I liked that Beth continued to want to live a normal life or as normal as she could without fully turning undead and becoming evil. I liked that her best friend stuck by her once she got over the initial freaking out moment. And I liked that Beth manages to find a little romance along the way.

I prefer this author’s demon-hunting soccer mom series, but if you are looking for a light vampire themed romance that isn’t bogged down in details and isn’t too heavy on angst and turmoil, give this one a try.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)