Saturday, November 30, 2013

REVIEW: Penelope by Anya Wylde

Title: Penelope (Fairweather Sisters #1)
Author: Anya Wylde
Publisher: Smashwords
Publication Date: January, 2013
Genre: Historical Romance

Description: Penelope Fairweather from rural Finnshire arrives in London with a hopeful heart. The dowager invites her for a season to catch a husband. Unfortunately Penelope's rustic finesse is as delicate as a fat bear ripping apart a honeycomb infested with buzzing bees. Fake moustaches, highwaymen, pickpockets, and a devilishly handsome duke follow.

My Thoughts: I really enjoy this author's writing style and voice. I usually have a hard time with this time period because sometimes the characters are just too rigid and proper. They don't know how to relax. Ms. Wylde takes these characters and gives them spirit and personality while maintaining the image this time period is known for. I thought Penelope was enchanting and was rooting for her the minute she arrived. She's a hot mess but you can't help but be on her side. How many heroines keep a goat as a pet?

I had a hard time warming up to the Duke. I found him to be rude and arrogant, stiff-necked and never cracking a smile. So, I guess you could say he fit right in to the environment. I enjoyed watching his transformation to a decent human being and I especially enjoyed seeing his mother and sister stand up to him at every opportunity.

Besides Penelope, my favorite character has to be Madame, the cross-dressing modiste. This character was a riot and definitely is not what she appears.

My Final Verdict: If you are a fan of Anya Wylde, you will enjoy this book for its vibrant characters that leap off the page and near side-splitting humor throughout the story. If you have not read anything by Anya Wylde, I highly recommend you start. Penelope is a great choice to begin.


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)