Monday, November 25, 2013

REVIEW: So Pretty It Hurts by Kate White

Title: So Pretty It Hurts (Bailey Weggins Mystery #6)
Author: Kate White
Publisher: Harper Collins
Publication Date: March, 2012
Genre: Mystery

Description: Bailey Weggins, the Manhattan-based thirty something true-crime journalist, is in a good place. She's enjoying her regular gig at Buzz, a leading celebrity magazine, getting freelance work, and hoping her first book will garner attention. In the love department, she's finally back in the game with her recently-turned-exclusive boyfriend, Beau Regan.

When Beau heads out of town one early December weekend, Bailey accepts an invitation from her office friend Jessie to a music mogul's house in the country, hoping for a fun, relaxing getaway. But a weird tension settles over the houseguests--a glamorous crowd that includes the famously thin supermodel Devon Barr. An impending snowstorm only adds to the unease. So when Devon's lifeless body is found in her bed, Bailey immediately suspects foul play: she can't stop thinking of the day before, when a frightened Devon shivered in the woods and pleaded, "I have to get out of here. . . . It's not safe for me."

When Bailey starts to nose around, she finds herself a moving target--running closer to the truth and straight into danger. With her trademark irreverent wit, Bailey is a heroine who keeps us laughing while on the edge of our seats. New and longtime fans alike will devour this eagerly awaited mystery.

My Thoughts: I have enjoyed the Bailey Weggins series and I was really happy to see a new release. Bailey is a character that I relate to easily. She is very likeable and people seem to naturally gravitate toward her. The only problem I have with Bailey is she sometimes takes foolish risks to get to the truth. She has had so many near death attacks but she doesn’t arm herself or otherwise take precautions.

Even with the risks Bailey takes, I still enjoyed the story and I was way off-base with the identity of the killer. It’s a good thing I don’t make a living as a detective or a private investigator because I am so clueless with these things but I immensely enjoyed the ride. There is an interesting twist at the very end of the story that threw me for a loop but was a fitting end.

I am looking forward to the next Bailey Weggins adventure. This story left a few open threads involving Bailey’s writing career and her relationship with Beau. I am undecided if Beau is the best man for Bailey but I am curious to see where she goes from here.

My Final Verdict: If you are looking for a mystery with some minor romance and a few intriguing surprises, I highly recommend the Bailey Weggins series. Though a lot of people have no problem reading them as stand-alone stories, I recommend reading the series in order. So Pretty It Hurts is the sixth book in the series and I hope will not be the last.


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)