Tuesday, December 15, 2015

REVIEW: Mistletoe And Wine by Faith Bleasdale

Title: Mistletoe And Wine
Author: Faith Bleasdale
Publisher: Endeavour Press
Publication Date: October, 2015
Genre: Chick-Lit
Buy The Book: Amazon

Description: One office party, three couples, lots of secrets. What could possibly go wrong?

Harry Augustus, the third generation boss of Augustus Estate Agents, is hosting the biggest and best Christmas party yet.

He is pulling out all the stops and has a big announcement to make.

Gabby, the glamorous office manager, is in charge of the festive bash.

But she’s also sleeping with the boss.

Their office romance has been anything but subtle and is made more scandalous by the fact that Harry is married with two kids.

But theirs is not the only secret relationship in the office…

Caroline, Harry’s dutiful PA, is dating her irresistible colleague, Rob Sharp, who wants to keep their relationship private so it won’t affect his chances of an upcoming promotion.

But Caroline is at her wits end; she’d rather face the inevitable gossip than the icy front Rob puts on in the office.

Why does she feel like she’s the one having the affair?

Gabby takes Caroline for a drink at the ‘Olive’ to plan the party and tells her she thinks Harry is going to leave his wife for her.

That’s what the announcement is going to be about.

While leaving the bar, Gabby sees Evie and Joseph, two juniors at the company, sharing a tender moment.

She thinks they’d make a cute couple but Evie has set her sights on Rob…

As Gabby, Caroline and Evie grow closer, their secret relationships threaten to catch up with them.

Trouble is brewing…

What is Harry’s speech going to be about? How will the couples cope when the truth is revealed during a not so secret ‘Secret Santa’ present swap?

Can mistletoe and wine save the day?

My Thoughts: With Mistletoe And Wine, new to me author, Faith Bleasdale, offers a story about the pitfalls of office romances and three women who navigate their lives around them. Gabby is the office manager and is sleeping with the boss, Harry. Caroline is Harry’s personal assistant and is dating Rob, a colleague, who wants to keep their relationship a secret to improve his chances of advancement. Evie, a junior employee is dating Joseph, but she is attracted to Rob, not knowing that he is dating Caroline.

I found the story to be OK. I enjoyed the blossoming friendships between the women and enjoyed the outcome, but I struggled with why Gabby and Caroline allowed themselves to remain in relationships they knew were bad for them. Though the story ends on a high note for all three women, I don’t like stories where the leading characters allow themselves to be treated as objects by men who claim to love them. The story does get interesting as we are drawn into the office Christmas festivities and what transpires. The result proves to be entertaining and enjoyable.

If you are looking for a fast read with a Christmas theme and do not mind toxic relationships, give this one a try.


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)