Friday, January 02, 2009

December's Reading Review

I closed out the year with a decent month reading. Hopefully 2009 will bring more books read and that they be excellent reads.


The Bone Garden by Tess Gerritsen

My Rating: 9 *'s

My Thoughts: This isn't the usual storyline I have come to expect from this author. Still, the story was quite good and kept me guessing until the end. I enjoyed the switch between time periods to bring the past and the present together. Though the outcome of the story turned out well, there were a few events that I wasn't pleased about. I still prefer the Jane Rizzoli series but this was a decent story.


Stroke Of Midnight by Sherrilyn Kenyon, Amanda Ashley, L.A. Banks & Lori Handeland

My Thoughts: 7 *'s

My Rating: The only story I enjoyed was Sherrilyn Kenyon's. Couldn't get into the others which seems to be the case with anthologies, unfortunately.



Soul Survivor by Susan Plunkett

My Rating: 8 *'s

My Thoughts: A little slow starting off but got better. Very heartwarming story of love, regret and forgiveness




Plum Lucky by Janet Evanovich

My Rating: 8 *'s

My Thoughts: Lots of wacky new characters and chaos crossing Stephanie's path when she, Lula, Connie and Diesel have to go after Grandma Mazur who has made off to Atlantic City in an RV bought with stolen money. Throw in a little man who believes he's a leprechaun and his horse, a mobster who looks more like a toad and a few brief appearances of Ranger and Joe and you have another madcap adventure starring Stephanie and her world. And don't get me started on Lula's aspirations to be a lingerie model.



Jack With A Twist by Brenda Janowitz

My Rating: 10 *'s

My Thoughts: I adored Ms. Janowitz's first book, SCOT ON THE ROCKS, but I have to say that JACK WITH A TWIST was much better! I couldn't put the book down. Even through Brooke's self-obsessed personality, which she doesn't make excuses for, by the way, you cannot help but like her and root for her and Jack to make it down the aisle. I loved all the characters, well, most of them anyway. I didn't take to Jack's family very well, but his sister's did surprise me at the bridal shower and by the end even Jack's parents came across more humane. I loved the side stories involving Vanessa and Marcus and Monique and Jean Luc and laughed myself silly at Brooke's wild imagination involving her wedding videographer and The Soprano references. I recommend this book to every woman who has been a bride or bride to be as I'm sure they can relate to the complete and utter chaos and craziness that planning a wedding brings out in everyone. Hopefully this book brings some relief from the stress.

Brenda Janowitz is definitely an author to keep an eye out for in the bookstores. She already won me over with the Perth, Scotland references in SCOT ON THE ROCKS but JACK WITH A TWIST has placed her in favorite status.



7th Heaven by James Patterson

My Rating: 9 *'s

My Thoughts: Very interesting story with some intense moments and great sub-plots. I found Yuki's side story very riveting. I was on the edge of my seat. Not sure if I'm liking where the author is going with Lindsay and Rich, though. I would love to see Cindy get more page time. I'm looking forward to the next one.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)