Saturday, January 10, 2009

REVIEW: O Is For Outlaw by Sue Grafton

O Is For Outlaw by Sue Grafton

My Rating: 9*'s

Description: The call comes on a Monday morning from a guy who scavenges defaulted storage units at auction. The weekend before, he'd bought a stack of cardboard boxes. In one, there was a collection of childhood memorabilia with Kinsey's name all over it. For thirty bucks, he was offering Kinsey the lot.

Though she's never been one for personal possessions, curiosity is a powerful force. She agrees to meet the guy, then hands over a twenty (she may be curious, but she's also cheap and she loves a bargain).

What she finds among the items is an old undelivered letter to her that will force her to reexamine her beliefs about the breakup of her first marriage . . . about the honor of her first husband . . . and about an old unsolved murder.

It will put her life in the gravest peril.

My Thoughts: Just when I start to wonder if this series has anything to offer in the way of surprises, along comes this installment of Kinsey's next assignment and I'm hooked all over again. I love Kinsey and her smart mouth attitude. This story shows another side of Kinsey when she is told her first ex-husband has been shot and may not survive. When she discovers some very hard truths about the past, Kinsey has to take the painful journey to forgive her ex for his alleged misdeeds. Kinsey also has to look at her own shortcomings as well and reevaluate her beliefs.

From Santa Theresa to Louisville and back, Kinsey's dig into the past attracts the attention of some unsavory people who would rather the past and the crimes committed there remain dead and buried. Kinsey is her usual feisty self but we get to see more of the compassionate side of her, especially with the ending. Kudos to Sue Grafton for creating a fantastic multi-dimensional character that comes to life and draws the reader into her world so deeply that it's easy to forget that Kinsey and her world is fiction.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)